One of the biggest challenges of being a full-time painter is finding space to put all my work and the materials that I have to keep on hand to make things happen. When my brother-in-law Chris adopted my carpentry tools and equipment, it created lots of space. However, I was still trying to make things work based on the available work tables and shelving.
On Monday, I started to wonder about what would happen if I got rid of a less-than-ideal shelving unit we had and replaced it with a purpose-built unit. After I pulled out the measuring tape, I discovered I had enough height to play with to build shelves that would accommodate 12", 16", 24", and 36" canvases.
I couldn't get it out of my head, so I went to the hardware store, bought some 16" wide pine boards and spent several hours building a custom shelving unit.
It's a start. I still need to do other things to clean out my studio and make it more efficient. I think the next step will be to either sell, recycle or trash everything that no longer serves a purpose. That will clear up a lot of space.
Post a Comment